HEALTH AND SAFETY
The Importance of Mental Health Awareness and Suicide Prevention
Sep 7, 2022 | Health & Safety
Creating safe work environments is a vital part of Jordan Foster’s Think Safe Work Smart initiative. This involves fostering a safety culture that not only focuses on physical hazards, but also psychological ones.
Suicide is among the leading cause of death in the United States, and that rate has risen in recent years. In 2020 the CDC found that men working in construction had one of the highest rates of suicide. Much like other workplace fatalities, suicides can be prevented.
Here are five things to know about preventing suicide:
Everyone can help prevent suicide.
Mental health and suicide can be difficult to talk about—especially with work colleagues—but your actions can make a difference. When you work closely with others, you may sense when something is wrong.
Know the Warning signs of suicide.
There is no single cause for suicide but there are warning signs. Changes in behavior, mood, or even what they say may signal someone is at risk. Take these signs seriously. It could save a life.
Ask “Are you okay?”
If you are concerned about a coworker, talk with them privately, and listen without judgment. Encourage them to reach out to your Employee Assistance Program (EAP), the human resources (HR) department, or a mental health professional.
If someone is in crisis, stay with them and get help.
If you believe a coworker is at immediate risk of suicide, stay with them until you can get further help. Contact emergency services or the 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline.
Suicide prevention resources are available.
- Call or text the Suicide and Crisis Lifeline at 988.
- Visit the American Foundation for Suicide (afsp.org) to learn about suicide risk factors, warning signs, and what you can do to help prevent suicide.
- Visit the OSHA website (osha.gov/preventingsuicides) for resources to education your teams about preventing suicides.
If you, or somebody you know, is having trouble coping with work-related stress, talk with someone who can help. For more information visit 988lifeline.org/help-yourself
- The Importance of Mental Health Awareness and Suicide Prevention
- Affordable Housing for Seniors Experiencing Homelessness in San Antonio, TX
- Jordan Foster Construction Awarded The Residences at Grayson Heights in San Antonio, Texas
- Jordan Foster Construction Achieves World-Class Safety Standards Through Platinum Level ABC STEP Program
- Jordan Foster Construction Awarded Citadel Urban in San Antonio, Texas